Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this

 

It's incredible how much easier life can get once you let go of the things that hold you back.
It's lovely to notice yourself getting more cheerful and other people saying you look happier than you did.
But the best thing is to remember those times you were really, really happy and felt you could take on the world...

 

It's a crazy thing, I guess, but I've always been the happiest when I was away. I love my home, the known streets and familiar faces, but in a different country, an unknown place, I've always felt great.
The feeling of being anonymous in the city and the feeling of being there with the loveliest people ever mixed up to a great sensation, a time to remember for ever. It's been a while, but it still feels like it could have been just yesterday...

 

It's so easy to blend into the masses and go with the flow, explore new things. In most countries, people will be so nice to you and try to help you with everything you need.
I remember a poor Peruvian family sharing their food with us and crying out of joy when we came to visit them in their house. I felt like I could spend my life in Peru, with these beautiful people.
I remember an Italian lady who came running after me in Rome when I accidentally dropped my cardigan on the street. I could spend every holiday in Rome and still wonder about the beauty.
I remember people in Germany doing everything they could to make us feel good and happy and give us a wonderful summer. I could live there, it felt like home; Ich bin ein Berliner.



I can remember only a few moments where I felt as happy as I did when on one of my travels.
There's nothing like walking a small path, hand in hand with everyone else, and then suddenly seeing Machu Picchu. It was the very same image as on the cover of my guide book and it felt incredible.
There's nothing like the Trevi-fountain at night with your friends, eating gelato and hopping down the streets. We were so close together and we still talk about those crazy moments we had there.
There's nothing like cycling in Berlin at night, when the wind blows through your hair and you see the city lighting up. It felt like we were flying and it was so beautiful. It really felt like being in love...

But eventually, there's nothing like a night out with the friends I've always had either, drinking mojitoes and having fun.
It's not the activity, it's whom you share it with. And I have to say that I have nothing to complain about when it comes to that.
I still love the ones I haven't seen in years. They still feel like close friends. It will always be this way.
Because, once the moment is gone, it's the memory that counts...

With love,
Kirsten

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them al.


Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more



- The Beatles -

No comments: