Monday, August 8, 2011

I can still recall our last Summer


Ich würde euch Blumen schicken
Aber hat das überhaupt noch Zweck?
Ich würde euch gerne noch mal sehen
Aber alle sind ja längst schon weg.

It was an amazing Summer.
I can remember how I felt when I stepped out of the train in Cologne with my suitcase, trying to prevent accidents to happen, and how suprised I was to hear "Hey, you must be Kirsten!" as soon as I got out.
Slightly nervous, little exhausted, very excited.
Relieved I felt, too. Finally being there was good, it meant there was no way back and it meant that it was time to see what was coming and to enjoy the time.

I remember being there and first seeing the others. How we quietly stood there, asking who we were and where we were from. I never imagined that we would become so close.


There was something about this Summer. I never noticed how quick a month can pass, it seems so long.
It felt like just three days ago, that moment when we arrived, and before I knew it, it was time to say goodbye.
It was magical, amazing, wonderful.
I felt good, sunny, happy, and I did a lot of what I love to do: laughing. It was great from the start, and it only got better as we grew closer to each other.


Even though we all were different, it worked perfectly. Our cultures, families, interests and personalities were not the same, but it didn't matter at all.
If you just realise how much you can learn from other people...
I really learned a lot these past four weeks. There were the facts, school-like things to know, about the places we visited, history and stories.
But above all, there were ideas, people, cultures, feelings, new friends to get to know. I also found out some new things about myself, which always is a good experience, and therefore, I thank everyone who was with me. I couldn't have done it without you, we were a wonderful combination together.
And now, as we are spread over the entire world again, I think back to the time we spent and hope there are some moments in which you think of me.


It was such a beautiful time. I never realised how things can be pretty in different ways: Rain, darkness, light, sunshine. Eventually, almost everything looks better when the sun shines, but we didn't let the clouds and the rain ruin the mood. Besides, all of you still looked gorgeous with wet hair and raindrops on the face.


I already miss them. Really bad. But somewhere, it's pretty, too. We knew we only had limited time together, and that might have been one of the reasons we grew so close.
We might see each other again, no, we will see each other again. Maybe it won't be all of us, maybe it will, but I'm sure we are going to spend some more time together. I've gotten way too used to all of them to let them go right now.

How I wished I had the time, the money and the opportunity to see all of you again next week. 
I could wait a month, a year, two years, maybe even more, if I only knew when I'd see you again. 
Not knowing makes me feel out of control, an utterly unpleasant feeling.

Maybe I should start planning my journey to visit all of them... Who will be first?
Netherlands, Germany, Iceland, Paraguay, Lithuania, France, UK? 
All of them? A new trip back to where we started? Four new weeks?
Seems fine to me...

With love,
Kirsten

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed.
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone, and some remain. 
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall.
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I loved them all.
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things, that went before.
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I loved you more.

- The Beatles -

3 comments:

ellie said...

Such a lovely post to those you miss. Amazing photos too.

caitlin and megan said...

A beautiful tribute to those you miss. What a great summer!

Fleur said...

Yeah,kirsten is back! :p
Volgens mij heb je het wel heel erg naar je zin gehad,he?
Zin om deze vakantie nog wat af te spreken??
Xx