Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'm a fan

I adore books. I'm not even sure why. The smell of paper, I think.
The stories which are in them. Stories of friendship, of misery, travels, love, anything.
Poetry, or journals. I've started one again a few weeks ago, and I find it really nice to put my thoughts and feeling out there on the paper, just to get them little clearer to me.
Images of unknown places, places where I've been and places I might visit one day.
I love to flip through books with lovely pictures and dream away, or with recipes and think what the food would taste like. Or to imagine how someone could even come to the idea of photographing something special.
Photography has a lot to do with love, I think. We take pictures of memorable things, things we don't want to forget, or things so pretty we want to show everyone. 

Let's take a look at one of my very favorite photography books: Welcome by Anne Geddes. I think the way she sees children is amazing.



You are a marvel. 
Each second we live is a new and unique moment of the universe, a moment that will never be again. 
And what do we teach out children? We teach them that two and two make four, and that Paris is the capital of France. 
When will we also teach them what they are? We should say to each of them: Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique. 
In all the years that have passed, there has never been another child like you. Your legs, your arms, your clever fingers, the way you move. 
You may become a Shakespeare, a Michelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for anything. 
Yes, you are a marvel. And when you grow up, can you then harm another who is, like you, a marvel? You must work, we must all work, to make the world worthy of its children.
Pablo Casals






I love how children are so pure and innocent, but completely honest and carelss and the same time. How many stories have I heard of little children doing funny things.
They often don't even notice it themselves.
For an example, I once said to my uncle's boss, when she was visiting: "You have been here for a long time now, I think it's time for you to go!" or when my sister pressed her muddy hands to the walls of our new-built-garage, or as the two of us stepped into wet cement.
We watched our old home-videos again the other day, and all these funny moments made me smile so widely. It's strange, I can't even remember it, but it really happened.

I wonder what makes us forget and remember certain things. There are some things we'd rather forget, but these things always stay with me the longest. Fortunately, happy memories are more than sad ones. Eventually, it's always better to stay positive...

With love, 
Kirsten

You say you will love me if I have to go.
You'll be thinking of me, somehow I will know.
Someday when I'm lonely, wishing you weren't so far away,
Then I will remember things we said today.
You say you'll be mine, girl, 'til the end of time.
These days such a kind, girl, seems so hard to find.
Someday when we're dreaming, deep in love, not a lot to say
Then we will remember things we said today.

- The Beatles 

4 comments:

ellie said...

Such great questions you brought up. Love the photos.

Unknown said...

Such sweet pics. Love this.

ivy's closet said...

Oh so adorable!

illustration poetry said...

i so agree with you.
children are precious, dont you think? :))

kisses hugs ♥