Monday, June 20, 2011

Please don't stop the rain

Water enriches the world.
How often do we complain about rainy days, cloudy skies, cold?
I do so, too.
Then again, I see the grean sea in the garden, all the flowers and the trees, everything which would not be if it weren't for the rain.
We need water, and in fact, we could see it as a miracle when it comes falling down from the sky, just appearing out of the clouds.

Water is pretty, too. I can remember the day this picture was taken, I was about ten years old then, and we were on a holiday in Bretagne, France. We went to this point, where there are amazing cliffs and it is lovely to see the water hit the rocks and to feel the wind wooshing through your hair.
It rained every day. Still, when I look back to it, it had a certain charm. Maybe it was just the kind of charm a child doesn't appreciate or understand...

Then again, we tried to enjoy the rare moments of sun. We went to the beach as soon as the clouds were gone for a moment, just to notice it had started raining again as we arrived. We still went into the water, only 'till our knees, but we just had to.
Do you know that feeling, how appealing water can be? A clear blue pool, a waveless sea, just anything.

And, when it gets too much, we just send something back to the sky, to tell it to stop the rain for a moment. I remembered this moment very good too. I was twelve and I went to see Robbie Williams live in Cologne with my parents and sister. It rained for a moment, but after the first act, it was dry again and it was a lovely evening. One of the best of my life.

I always used to hate cycling in the rain. Now I noticed, when I give in to it, it is okay, sometimes even delighting. Rain smells good, it smells clean and fresh. 
I once saw someone looking even better after getting soaked. 
You can't do anything about it, so wouldn't it be better to enjoy the circumstances instead of complaining about something you can't change?
I think it is.

With love,
Kirsten

I don't know where I crossed the line
Was it something that I said 
Or didn't say this time
And I don't know if it's me or you
But I can see the skies are changing
In all the shades of blue
And I don't know which way it's gonna go

If it's gonna be a rainy day

There's nothing we can do to make it change
We can pray for sunny weather
But that won't stop the rain
Feeling like you got no place to run
I can be your shelter 'til it's done
We can make this last forever
So please don't stop the rain

- James Morrison -

3 comments:

ellie said...

Its interesting that you posted this. Here in the mid-west..we are having more water rush down the Missouri than ever before. Its even surrounded a nuclear plant that they said..that would never happen there.

We are being flooded here all because of the huge snowfalls in Montana and the Dakotas. If only we could seen this water to Florida or New Mexico (wild fires there) or even the drought in Texas.

I'm glad you are embracing the rain.

Great post!

ivy's closet said...

Love the pictures. A wonderful post about the most essential thing.

All the best with your creativity!

Unknown said...

what a wonderful post! Love the pics too.