Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The day after...




Yes, it was all around again. It creeps up when February starts, it becomes worse and worse every day, and CLANG!, it hits you right in the face.

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm not a great fan of Valentine's Day. I went downtown with my sister this weekend to do a little shopping, and you just see it everywhere. It's all pink and red hearts and roses and gifts and jewels and special things.
My mailbox got stuffed with offers of almost every company, offering "Special Valentine's stuff!"
Did I ask for special Valentine's stuff? Guess not.


And suddenly, it seems a problem you're single. The entire thing just reminds you that you're lonely if you don't have a date for Valentine's day.
"Any plans for Valentine's Day?"
"Uh, I think I'll just spend the evening at home, doing homework..."
And then they look at you like you're a sad, tragic person.
I got some news for you: We're not! ^^

The biggest problem is, I think, that it has gotten too commercial. It's become a way of making money and selling products.
Here you got a slight impression of my mailbox from the last weeks, so you can see it yourself.







See what I mean?
Sure, all lovely stuff, but wouldn't it be much more fun if someone bought if for you when you least expect it? And wouldn't it be slightly uncomfortable if we all bought each other iPods or diamond rings and expensive things?
Money can't buy us any love, eventually. Love should be earned by a person's being, and not by his ability to buy fancy things, right?

Happy after-Valentine's Day everyone!
(by the way, I've gotten curious... what did you do yesterday? Gotten any roses, or secret, anonymous love declarings? Let me know, let me know, let me know!

And I'm proud to tell you that I didn't get anything yesterday, so I'm the real lonely loser here, but I don't mind that.
Let's just say, that all we need is love, money can't buy me love, but I'll always get by with a little help from my friends.

With love,
Kirsten

Say you don't need no diamond rings, and I'll be satisfied
Tell me that you want the kind of things, that money just can't buy
I don't care too much for money
Money can't buy me love

Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so
Can't buy me love, no no no, no

- The Beatles - 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no time for Valentines day. Love should be 365 days a year. I will not buy into the marketing crap! x

Maddie said...

totally agree! altho I'm sure i'd feel maybe a patch differently if I had a beau ;)