Friday, September 4, 2009

My Holiday Story

Wow, I feel so sad!
I should be in Italy today, with my parents, sisters and friends of ours, but instead I'm sitting home, were it's cold and rainy.
We went on a holiday to Italy, eight days in San Vincenzo, Tuscany, and six days in Caorle, near Venice.
Before we left home, I said to my mother: 'Mum, something is wrong, it doesn't feel right!'
And she said: 'Oh, that's just holiday stress!'
So we went to Austria, we slept in a hotel there. We always book a hotel halfway, so we can rest and my dad doesn't have to drive too long.
Next day we went on, to Italy!
That day sucked.
It was so crowded, we drove 150 km in four hours, and as we wanted to go on after a little break at a gasstation, the car decided to stop working.
My Dad called the ANWB, they told him they would send a truck to bring our car to a garage.
After three hours, he was finally there, he drove us 50 km back towards Austria. My mother and Svenne next to the driver, my father, Jytte, Tjorven and I in our own car, at the back of the truck. It was quite an experience, I have to say. =P
They fixed the car (thank God), we payed for it, and we were on the road again.
Big surprise: The roads were empty now!
At 01.30 in the night we finally arrived at the camping. We did less than 700 km in, like, 16 hours?
But we had a nice week there. It was really hot, I got really tanned, a waiter gave me an ice-cream ( I know, I was stunned, too!), we visited some cities, we had a good time.
Sunday, we moved on to Caorle. We've been there before, it's really nice there.
Those friends of ours have a daughter, and she's as old as I am, and were good friends, so it was supposed to be so nice!
But Sunday afternoon, a collegue of my Dad's called him (he's a doctor). There was something wrong with my granddad. He was in a nursing, and there was something wrong with him.
But later, my uncle called, and he said Granddad was feeling better now.
Next morning, I heard he had died.
We went home Tuesday.
It was so weird, I couldn't believe it at first. He was in bad conditions, and actually, everyone has been saying they didn't think he'd make it til Christmas for almost 4 years.
He always made it, and now he really is dead, I can't believe it.
I mean, I KNOW he is, I saw him yesterday, and today was his funeral, but still, it's so strange!
The funeral was so sad, but it was beautiful, too. As far as those things can be beautiful, of course.
He loved nature, and you could see the forest, the sky and the clouds through the windows.
And they played some beautiful music, something from opera Carmen he liked, and a song from a Dutch cabaretier, Toon Hermans, Ik ben iemand van een kleine stad ( I'm someone from a little town). And in the end, they let that song flood into the anthem of Limburg, the province where we live, and where he had lived for almost his whole life.
And that music, it was Granddad, and then almost everyone started crying. (I've been crying almost all the time, just like my sisters and some other people)
Well, I think it's better this way, he was 81, and his time had came.
It's all right for him, but yeah, it feels sad.
I'm going to write something for him, and then I'll post it here, as my way to say goodbye, forever.

I'm going to bed now, I'm tired, and Monday school starts again :(


1 comment:

Fleur said...

Het spijt me, van je opa.
Maar zeg, was dat die lieve man die ons toen naar het Valentijnfeestje van Anna heeft gereden?
En vind je het serieus echt zo erg dat maandag school weer begint? Ik ben het echt zat thuis; ik heb weer zin om naar school te gaan.
Echt gecondoleerd, heel erg spijtig.